2004 Jun 04 11:49

Re: [vox-tech] Printing under KDE

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:23:42PM -0700, Richard Ely wrote:
> No, localhost:631 is not there.   I know it has been there and working
> because we used cups to print a document the other night.  How do I install
> it?  Probably trashed something trying to get the network to run.

There's your problem - make sure cups is installed and the cups daemon
is running. You may need to start it using /etc/init.d/cups start, and
you'd need to make sure that it starts at your default runlevel.

> What is the relationship between CUPS and printcap file which I do not seem
> to have.  Don't I need that?

Dont' worry about the printcap file. CUPS doesn't need /etc/printcap.
CUPS stores its information in /etc/cups/printers.conf, which you edit
using the web interface localhost:631, or using some other tool.