2004 May 29 08:57

Re: [vox-tech] Building a big kernel verses one that uses modules

me@heyjay.com said:
> Hi,
>
> To piggyback on the other thread "Can't mount root while booting 2.6.5
> kernel"  ME said:
>
>>> How do you eliminate the need for initrd on a system? Simple, make
> support
>>> for all required hardware necessary to get "/" and supported volumes
>>> mounted an permit the booting of your machine to continue.
>
> How do you know what you have to have in the kernel?  I went thru
> 2.6.5's menuconfig and there are a billion options.  I'd like to build a
> small kernel but I don't know what I need what I don't need.  I know I'd
> like it to be built for my AMD chip, I'd like raid.  I know I don't need
> any (except one) of the network drives but the rest...who knows.
>
> I know there is "make defconfig" but then most of the stuff is modules
>
> I guess what I'm asking is there a minumum config that one can start
> with and add to, rather than starting with everthing and knowing what
> you need to get rid of?

Though it is not current to a 2.6.x kernel, I offered a presentationon
building kernels, and one of the key points I tried to address was
gathering information on what options you may want to select when
configuring a kernel.

(Shameless self plug)
http://mike.passwall.com/nblug/kernel-talk/

This is a copy of the presentation with slides, summary of what I said for
each slide, and comments from the people in the audience.

You can skip most of the stuff (theory) up until you get to "HOW"