2004 May 28 21:50

[vox-tech] Building a big kernel verses one that uses modules

[vox-tech] Building a big kernel verses one that uses modules

Hi,

To piggyback on the other thread "Can't mount root while booting 2.6.5
kernel"  ME said:

>> How do you eliminate the need for initrd on a system? Simple, make
support
>> for all required hardware necessary to get "/" and supported volumes
>> mounted an permit the booting of your machine to continue.

How do you know what you have to have in the kernel?  I went thru
2.6.5's menuconfig and there are a billion options.  I'd like to build a
small kernel but I don't know what I need what I don't need.  I know I'd
like it to be built for my AMD chip, I'd like raid.  I know I don't need
any (except one) of the network drives but the rest...who knows.

I know there is "make defconfig" but then most of the stuff is modules

I guess what I'm asking is there a minumum config that one can start
with and add to, rather than starting with everthing and knowing what
you need to get rid of?

Jay