2004 May 26 17:18

Re: [vox-tech] emergency: please help. /lib keeps disappearing

Re: [vox-tech] emergency: please help. /lib keeps disappearing

Issac Trotts wrote:

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:08:39AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

On Wed 26 May 04, 8:48 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu> said:

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:52:22AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[...]

Good. Now I begin to recover packages. I don't know how to get a list
of all packages that install files in /lib, so I do the only thing I
know how to do:

COLUMNS=255 dpkg -l "*" | grep -v 'description'
| awk '{ print $2 }' > recover.sh

which gives me a list of all installed packages. BTW, if anybody knows
how to generate a list of all packages which have files in /lib, I'd
like to know.

(for i in $(dpkg -l '*'|grep -v description|awk '{print $2}'); do if dpkg -L $i | grep '^/lib/' > /dev/null ; then echo $i fi done) | less

[...]

That's about the only thing I can think of to try (other than installing
Gentoo which I've been thinking about for a few weeks now).

Is there a reason to think Gentoo would have fewer problems than Debian?

thx, by the way! :-)

No prob! :o)

at some point during the history of this machine, a number of problems
developed with X:

[...]

they didn't happen all at once. it's been incremental, as X got
updated and ran the course of a couple of years.

Well, that's no fun. I've only used Debian for a couple of years,
but have installed it on maybe 8 boxes so far. The slowdown hasn't
happened to me yet...

when i use a live CD, like knoppix, these problems go away. i believe
these are compilation / packaging issues. i'd like to see if compiling
everything from scratch fixes them. i just booted knoppix for the first
time a few weeks ago, and the difference between X on my hard drive and
X on knoppix was startling.

I wonder if there's a way to get a blend between knoppix and hard-drive
based installation. It would be nice to be able to save files and
keep programs around that become available...

i realize that you can certainly compile your own on debian, but from
what i've read about gentoo, the whole concept appeals to me.

One thing that's been keeping me from using gentoo is that I'm worried
that installing packages will take way longer than with Debian.
Are there binary i686 or i386 versions of most of the packages?

Issac

A lot of the packages have binary versions, but it installing isn't so bad if you get in the habit of collecting a few and then "emerging" them at night. You can do it with a one line command: "emarge package1 package2 package3 ..." In the morning you can see a record of what was done and you are told whether there are some configuration file changes that may need attention. There is a neat program called "etc-update" that automatically lists the configuration files that may need to be modified or replaced and allows you to choose between the old or new version or combine them in whatever fashion seems appropriate. Of course, there are many small programs that can be installed in just a minute or two. But kde took over 6 hours on my athlon 2700+!

Bruce