2004 May 25 22:59

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Ken Herron said the following on 05/26/04 05:06:
--On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 06:00:24 PM -0700 Bruce Wolk <bawolk@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print
command in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver
again. This time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it
actually sent the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it printed
a page with an error message and instructions on using ghostscript.  I
have never seen anything like this!  It starts out as follows:

The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.

Mozilla has two methods for printing on unix. The basic printing module generates postscript which can be piped to another program such as lpr or kprint. This is what you're using right now. When mozilla (or firefox or thunderbird) is built with freetype support for printing, this module uses a postscript feature that's only available at implementation level 2015 and up, mozilla adds code to the print job to print the error message if the printer is missing the feature.

For best results, you should look into installing the xprint package on your system, as I think someone else suggested. Once this is installed, mozilla should be able to use its xprint support, which generally provides better results.
I don't know anything about Xprint. What will it do to my system? What happens to CUPS?