2004 May 25 22:07

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/25/04 19:15:
Bruce Wolk wrote:

I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print command in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver again. This time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it actually sent the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it printed a page with an error message and instructions on using ghostscript. I have never seen anything like this! It starts out as follows:

You must mean "kprinter" not "kdeprinter"

The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.

It then suggests I change the print command to a complicated gs command that I won't reproduce here. Now this printer is only one year old and never had any problems printing from any program in Redhat 9, so I have some doubt that I really need ghostscript.

Please do set the "ppds" USE flag and emerge foomatic and hpijs. It won't take long. Hopefully you will get some improvement (or at least something different).

OK, I will admit RH9 had something going for it with some of its system setup guis. The printer one was particularly nice. It was just a frontend for cups, but perhaps they had a well-tested ppd driver included for your printer. Nonetheless, I'm sure we can get your printer working in Gentoo.
It was kprinter. The kdeprinter was a typo.

Set the ppds USE flag in make.conf and energed foomatic. It didn't seem to do much:
[root@pogo download]#emerge foomatic
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 to /
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Source unpacked.

>>> Install foomatic-3.0.1 into /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-3.0.1/image/ category net-print
man:
prepallstrip:
strip:
>>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-3.0.1/image/

>>> Merging net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 to /
* Caching service dependencies...
>>> net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 merged.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

>>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

[root@pogo download]#/etc/init.d/cupsd restart
* Stopping cupsd... [ ok ]
* Starting cupsd...

I restarted cups, but nothing changed. No new drivers were shown. Do I need to unmerge first?