2004 May 25 18:01

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Bruce Wolk wrote:

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/24/04 09:17:

Hmm... looking up your printer on linuxprinting.org (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1300), I see this note:

"User Notes
Printer works as designed.
The foomatic ppd file does not work, use the NT ppd file in CUPS.
It can be found on the cd that comes with the printer.
The file is called "hp1300nt.ppd" and there should be multiple ones for
each translation. Works perfectly, just copy it to /usr/share/cups/model/
to use it with CUPS."

I added the hp1300nt.ppd file. Trying to install a printer with cups gave me no new options. In fact cups lists only a few hp drivers. So I am wondering whether something is wrong there. But I was able to add a printer with the new driver using kde printing manager and activate it through cups. Kate prints even nicer now--no dithering on the greyscale--but Kword prints poorly still and, even more surprisingly, firefox won't print at all! The printer light also flashes continuously after a job. So I am back to square one.

Would an unmerge of cups and foomatic followed by an emerge be worth a try, or is that dangerous?

Bruce
Many more print drivers will show up in the cups web interface if you enable the ppds USE variable and re-emerge foomatic (and maybe cups too):

# USE="ppds" emerge foomatic cups
# /etc/init.d/cupsd restart

I don't know why this is not on by default; the generated drivers only take up 6.6 MB of space. ppd files for all foomatic printers will be generated and put in /usr/share/ppd. You should put your special NT ppd file in /usr/share/ppd/HP, if you have not already. Hopefully it too will show up in the cups web interface, but I don't know for sure.

You might also try the hpijs driver. This needs to be emerged separately:

# USE="ppds" emerge hpijs
# /etc/init.d/cupsd restart

The hpijs driver is a linux driver directly from HP, so you might have some luck with it. I use it with my HP Laserjet 4.

I can't test printing from kword since I don't have it installed. Also, I use standard Mozilla 1.6, not firefox. In the print menu, I click on properties and type "kprinter" for the print command. I just discovered the "xprint" USE variable for mozilla/firefox. I haven't recompiled mozilla with it on, but supposedly it provides a better printing interface.

Hope this gets you further!

Jonathan

P.S.
You might want to check out the package "ufed" for managing USE variables and "porthole" (currently in testing) for a portage gui.