2004 May 21 13:29

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:11:02AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

> The actual character code is 180 decimal, which is an acute accent in the
> latin1 (or ISO8859-1) character set. You're getting 4294967220 because of
> a bug in the program. ptr points to signed characters so 180 is
> interpreted as -76; when *ptr is passed to printf(), the value is
> sign-extended to a signed int and then printed as if it were unsigned.

I was wondering where that huge number came from.  I was waiting for Mark Kim
to say UTF-8 or Unicode or something.  But, duh, it's just 1 byte.
Shoulda dug up the example source :)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com              C is like an industrial strength
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       nail gun; if wielded improperly,
New Breed Software                       it can cause untold carnage.