January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 21 10:12

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:48:16AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 00:40, Daniel Hurt wrote:
<snip>
> > <snip>
> > > r = 114
> > >  = 4294967220
>
> This character is suspicious. It's supposed to be 39, so
> apparently there are colors or other attribute information
> embedded.

Nah, actually dec. 39 in ASCII is "'", not "".

The difference might not be apparent in your mail client, depending on the
font.  In PuTTY, though, ASCII 39 looks kinda like:

  #
  #
  #

Whereas the apostrophe character I've seen in every mention of that AVI's
filename looks like this:

   #
  #

Fooling with Lynx for about 30 seconds, and digging up a random HTML escape
code reference, we would call this "&acute;" in HTML, versus just "'".

It, however, may also be closer to this, and I just can't see the
difference:

  ALT-0146   &#8217;   .    Right Single Quotation Mark

<snip>
> Suggestion: try calling rename() and then unlink().

I'd be interested to see if it works.  I'm /guessing/ either rename() or
unlink() will fail with the same "file not found" error, since it REALLY
looks more like an inode issue (e.g., the node isn't attached to something,
and that's pissing off JFS...?)

But, mostly, I'm just a spectator in this thread, so don't _not_ try anything
:)