2004 May 20 07:38

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files

I though at first briliant. But:

# mkdir ./tmp
# mv ./movies/* ./tmp
# rm -rf ./movies
rm: cannot remove directory `movies': Directory not empty

Thanks for the help, I will work on it more in the morning :)

Dan

Mark K. Kim wrote:
There's only one thing to do:

   $ pwd
   /some/path/to/avi/directory
   $ cd ..
   $ mkdir tmp
   $ mv directory/* tmp
   $ rm -rf directory

-Mark!!!!

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Daniel Hurt wrote:

No luck with the mp3 or avi files.  I have included the excuted commands
and the outcomes below.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

Mark K. Kim wrote:

Try:

  1. `rm -i *.avi` (it'll ask you if you wanna delete each file)
$ rm -i E*.avi
rm: remove regular file `Eddie_Izzard-Dressed_To_Kill.avi'? n
rm: remove regular file `Enemy_Of_The_State.avi'? n
rm: cannot lstat `Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director\264s
Cut).avi': No such file or directory

  2. Removing the file from a graphical program
     (Konqueror, Nautilus, etc.)
As stated previously, tried with the gentoo graphical file browser and
did not work.  Tried exporting as suggested by number 3, and the file
still does not show up in the browser.

  3. Try #1 and #2 with charset set to UTF-8
     (`export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8` under BASH)
$ export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
$ rm -i E*.avi
rm: remove regular file `Eddie_Izzard-Dressed_To_Kill.avi'? n
rm: remove regular file `Enemy_Of_The_State.avi'? n
rm: cannot lstat `Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director\264s
Cut).avi': No such file or directory

-Mark