January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 20 00:25

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files

Ryan wrote:
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 11:26 pm, Daniel Hurt dwhurt-at-ucdavis.edu |lugod| wrote:

I have a question regarding deletion of files.  In the conversion of my
files from my windows to Linux, I had some files that had special
characters in them.  They copied to the Linux file system, but now I
cannot access them to modify them.  I was curious about how to go about
removing these files:

ls: ./Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi: No such file
or directory
rm 'Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi'
would work. so would
rm 'Evil\ Dead\ 3\ -\ Army\ of\ Darkness\ Director\´s\ Cut\).avi

But quoting is usualy easier. Or use tab-compleation... that will escape for you.
Thanks I tried that already :-) But still not working. Here are some examples of the commands that I tried. I even tried installing a GUI file browser to see if it could see the files but no luck there.

--- Tab Completion:
$ rm Evil\ Dead\ 3\ -\ Army\ of\ Darkness\ \(Director´s\ Cut\).avi
rm: cannot remove `Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director\264s Cut).avi': No such file or directory

--- Different Quote Tests:
$ rm 'Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director`s Cut).avi'
rm: cannot remove `Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director`s Cut).avi': No such file or directory