2004 May 17 02:45

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] windows XP CD won't boot

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] windows XP CD won't boot

You could make a boot floppy. Here's a rediculously, humongously, and
superfluously long URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8fe6868-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&displaylang=en

-Mark

Most new Windows based machines do not come with a full distribution CD. Instead, the partition is divided with a backup install image on the hard disk. The CDROM only provides access to the restore routine to bring the machine back to the factory install. This was a step taken to allow machine builders to put on custom installs with the proper drivers in place AND to make the CDROM itself useless for installs on other machines (not that anyone would do such a thing - I mean you do own the license, but only for the machine you bought with it :-( ). If your reformat wiped the drive and reset the partitions, you have no backup image and no XP distribution to reinstall. If it did not, you should be able to reach it with the CDROM. I suspect you wiped the disk. If you still have your warranty, serial number and a record of payment for the machine, most companies will send you a new image CD with a reinstall routine. Other than that, you will have to buy one and start again - or go to a open source OS...

Can I sell you some free software?

Mike