2004 May 07 11:31

testing packages in gentoo (was Re: [vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0)

testing packages in gentoo (was Re: [vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0)

Daniel Hurt wrote:

<snip>

| | It is better to have modified or custom ebuilds in /usr/local/portage.
| You will also need to uncomment
| | PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
| | in /etc/make.conf. Just copy over your modified ebuilds, into an
| equivalent folder tree. These will not get overwritten when you do an
| emerge sync.

Actually, I found the solution if you would like to use an unstable package.
I have not been paying enough attention to the gentoo boards. Instead of
modifiying the ebuild to make the package stable, you should add it to this
file:

/etc/portage/package.keywords

Quote:
"So an example package.keywords file might look like this:

Code:
sys-devel/gcc ~x86
x11-base/xfree ~x86

This would tell portage that it should use the "~x86" keyword for gcc and
xfree and the "x86" keyword for everything else."

The reference is a discussion on using emerge -U instead of emerge -u:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1060314#1060314

Dan
Ah, yes, this looks like a much better solution for inclusion of testing packages. I'll give it a try the next time I run my upgrades. Thanks for posting to the list!

Jonathan