2004 May 05 19:35

Re: [vox-tech] Compile 2.6.5 kernel Debian-style, get unbootable system

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 08:23:16AM -0500, me@heyjay.com wrote:
> This all seems vaguely familar :)
>

> >     VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> >     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >     Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >

> I had troubles too.  It had all to do with my .config and nothing to do with
> my procedure (which is what I thought).  I was never successful using a
> config that came with a 2.4 kernel.  Attached is my .config, it's for AMD,
> and the only realtek network drivers, and ndivia video card, but you can
> change all those.  Here are the steps I use for compiling the kernel:
>
> $ apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev make gcc g++ patch
> $ apt-get install bin86 kernel-package module-init-tools
> $ apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.5
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ tar jxf kernel-source-2.6.5.tar.bz2
> $ cd kernel-source-2.6.5
> $ make menuconfig
> $ make-kpkg clean && time make-kpkg -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.5_Custom.1_i386.deb

Your config file did the trick.  Thank you!

(For the benefit of mutt users who may be listening in on this
conversation, the way to save the config file without getting oddball
characters is to use <Esc>s (decode-save).)

--
Issac Trotts
http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts