2004 May 05 12:25

Re: [vox-tech] Compile 2.6.5 kernel Debian-style, get unbootable system

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:55:44AM -0700, Issac Trotts wrote:
> Here's what I remember of what happened:
>
> $ apt-get kernel-source-2.6.5
> $ tar xjvf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.5.tar.bz2
> $ cd kernel-source-2.6.5
> $ cp /boot/config-2.6.3-1-686 .config  # or something similar
> $ make menuconfig
> $ MAKEFLAGS='CC=gcc-3.3' fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -686 \
> kernel_image modules_image

if yiu are using debian kernek config, you need to use --initrd option,
as it compiles all of filesystems,ect as modules.

And you need to add initrd line to grub after that, like the rest of
your kernels.

Or you can modify the lernel to compile ide/ext/whatever stuff into the
kernel.

Hope this helps.

[snip]