2004 May 04 19:55

Re: [vox-tech] Has anyone done cartography on Linux?

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> That is what bugs me about this... these are trivial things to do, but I
> don't see how to make Gimp do them.

Color the areas you're interested in different colors (red, yellow, green,
blue, etc.) in Gimp.  Color the areas you're not interested in a separate
color (i.e., black).  Save 'em in PPM ASCII format.  Use a scripting
language to figure out the size of each area, in pixels, by its color, and
you can calculate how much area that is in real life (approximately) by
multiplying it by the area/pixel ratio.

Tada!!

-Mark

--