2004 May 04 19:55

Re: [vox-tech] Has anyone done cartography on Linux?

Re: [vox-tech] Has anyone done cartography on Linux?

Hi Henry:

This link might be helpful:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/0141583269424672

It's about a guy who uses a garmin watch and uses it's xml export to overlay on
satellite imagery...  thought you might like to have a look.

Here is a guy who has written some stuff for building jpegs from M$'s
TerraServer website (satellite imagery):

http://jdmcox.com/

This all had to do with a story on slashdot.  I did some map-type stuff years
ago (before I started college), but that was using SGI systems and specialty
coded GIS stuff for USDA/ARS (mostly for building specialized views of specific
overlays).  But I don't know of any tools that would do exactly what you said.
I don't know if any of this information is helpful...

--good luck

jan

--- Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> wrote:
> Has anyone here worked with maps on Linux? I periodically need to work with
> simple maps and I am continually frustrated with the tools that I have
> tried. Here is an example of something that I want to do:
>
> 1. Scan an aerial photo or existing map
> 2. Mark some key points on it, connect them with lines or curves, make
>    areas, etc. These might be fields or fences.
> 3. Calculate lengths and areas (for example, number of acres in a field or
>    number of miles long that a fence extends).
>
> I don't have databases of geospacial data or GPS receiver data, so I don't
> think a heavyweight GIS system what I want. The scales are normally small so
> map projections are not a major issue. Anyway, what I want to do is so
> simple that I don't think it is worth learning a complex system like GRASS
> (<http://packages.debian.org/testing/science/grass>) since I can do a crude
> job with pencil, ruler, and compensating polar planimiter* in not much time.
> Still, there is surely a better way. I am interested in any suggestions.
>
> * A mechanical device that, when adjusted for scale, calculates the area of
>   any shape that one traces on a map or photograph.
>
> --
> Henry House
> The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.
> See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> to find out how to verify it.
> My OpenPGP key: <http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

=====
EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
foolish their lack of understanding.