January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 04 11:01

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] [rsvp-May15] Mandrake 9.2 + WinXP; trying to install Fedora Core on Virtual PC

On Monday 03 May 2004 04:19 pm, Jan W wrote:
> Mark hit it on the head (except Mono is an Open Source implementation of
> .NET, it runs on windows as well).  My logic is: (C & C++):(gcc)::(C# and
> VB.NET):(Mono).  C# isn't a traditional compiled "language" (M$ calls it
> part of the .NET 'framework'), parts of it are interpreted.
>
> I don't think that Mono is included with Redhat/Fedora.  You need to D/L it
> from their site, but they have source/RPM/DEB/windows .MSI, so it's fairly
> easy.
>
> He also wants to get it running in a VM on WinXP (I use VMware daily, but
> never Virtual PC)...
>
> I am nominally interested in Mono and .NET, is there anyone else sick in
> the head like me?
>
> The next question is since he is a fair hike away from davis, are we going
> to make him drive all the way out for an IF, or can we/should we try to
> help him via the list/IM/something else?  I'll be at the IF...
>
> --jan

Well I have used C# with .Net before.  Not much more than the fairly simple
make a couple of diag boxes, and a cpl programs using managed DirectX.  I
also used pnet's C# compiler on linux to compile some things.  And for the
record, all of C# is neither interpreted nor is it truly compiled.  C# is
more like java than anything else out there.  Basically the compiler takes
the code and makes bytecodes(MS for some reason calls it an intermediate
language or MSIL, maybe for IP purposes) out of it.  Then the system does a
JIT compile of the byte codes into native machine code(and stores the native
code to make future launches a bit faster)  and away you go.  That's my
understanding of how the thing works.

In any event, yes I'm somewhat interested in .NET and C#, but not really on
the unix side of things.  C++, C, and perl pretty much do everything I need
to do on that side of things.  Oh and Java too.

.NET is an interesting class library, not really sure how useful as I dont
windows program too much, but still is somewhat interesting.  I also ran some
C# programs on linux, both compiled to MSIL locally, and ones done by XP.

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk