2004 May 02 19:22

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 -> 2.6.3 or 5

On 2004.05.02 00:32, Rob Rogers wrote:
On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 18:37:59PM -0500, me@heyjay.com wrote:
> > > The steps I made in building my new kernel are as follows:
> > >
> > > apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev make gcc g++ patch
> > > apt-get install bin86 kernel-package module-init-tools
> > > apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.3
> >
> > all this stuff is irrelevent.
>
> irrelevent because it's obvious or it doesn't effect building the
kernel?
> If the later, every howto or article about building a kernel on deb has
the
> reader install some combo of those before they build the kernel

Irrelevent to the kernel panic problem. It's necessary stuff for
building the kernel, but if you were missing something here, you'd see
the problem long before you were trying to actually boot your new
kernel.

I think Jonathan pretty much covered the reasons you got your panic...
I've had the same issues before, and it was lack of IDE device and
filesystem support in my kernel. (well, actually lack of a proper
initrd, but that's easily fixed by building those things into your
kernel)
I think I also recall reading that before you generate the initrd, you need to add the appropriate module names (and also the names of those modules' dependancies) to a file somewhere (/etc/modules?), because the initrd doesn't have module dependancy information available so early in bootup, and the kernel can't guess what is needed that early in the bootup process. Am I correct?