January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 02 00:33

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 ->2.6.3 or 5

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 ->2.6.3 or 5

me@heyjay.com wrote:
VFS - Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append correct "Root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
well, this pretty much tells it all.  the kernel panics because it
doesn't know where to find the root of your filesystem.

I sorta got that, I'm just not sure why it can't find the filesystem

I've found, by personal experience, 3 things that cause the root filesystem not to be found or mounted.

1) incorrect "root=/dev/hdxx" entry in your boot loader, as others have pointed out

2) incorrect line in /etc/fstab

3) The necessary parts for your filesystem (e.g. ext3, reiserfs, or even your harddrive drivers) are not properly compiled in your kernel.

The first 2 are obvious, but I'll talk more about the last one. Unless you are using an initrd, you MUST compile support for your harddrive and its filesystem into the kernel directly, i.e. not as modules. This is what I do, and it works. Supposedly, modules are OK when using an initrd, but I haven't taught myself that yet, and it seems unnecessary. Modules are OK, and recommended, for things that come after mounting your root partition, but not before (e.g. usb stuff).

<snip>
cp /boot/config-2.4.25-1-386 .config
make menuconfig # didn't really do much here except make the processor
type

AMD
whoa there.  you're kidding, right?

you can't just use old .config files like that.  read the kernel
compiling howto and do a search on oldconfig.

I've tried make oldconfig, I've tried using all the defaults, I don't know
what all the options mean (even after reading the help) nor if they apply to
me

Anyway, I tried using the prebuilt 2.6.5-k7 image and that installed and
booted fine, so I'll use it's config as a starting point, and try again

Yep, all those options can be really confusing and intimidating. But you have the right idea: start by working with a config that is known to work. Good luck! There is something satisfying about compiling your own kernel.

Jonathan