2004 May 02 09:35

[vox-tech] Password Security...

Hello, I'm William...

I've been having some trouble with my security in my server.... I am running Red Hat Linux 9 with the Linux SSH Client software.

Looking through my logs, I found that a hacker got hold of my Root password... it was _not_ the default (it was 17 characters) .... the server sits behind my router with a local IP address

My Firewall is set at a high level and The Server config is far from the defaults...

My Question: could they have obtained my root password?..

Another thing,,, Is there an easy way I can figure out if they installed any software on my server, like a trapdoor that would allow access now that I have changed the password?

William Perdue
E-mail: william@williamperdue.com
Web site: www.williamperdue.com