2004 May 01 08:41

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 -> 2.6.3 or 5

On Sat 01 May 04,  9:17 AM, me@heyjay.com <me@heyjay.com> said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my kernel on a brand new install of sarge, but after
> rebooting my kernel panics on boot.  I'd like to post the panic messages.
> How can I get the boot and panic messages from a boot that fails?  I can
> reboot into the old kernel but then the messages are gone (or I don't know
> where to look)
>
> Thanks
> Jay

easiest methods:

* pen and paper
* digital camera

usually, the kernel prints a one line message giving the cause of the
panic.  the message is often easily interpreted, like "unable to find
root partition" or "no init found".

apparently, a lot of people who use "make oldconfig" lose their virtual
terminal support.

pete