2004 Apr 30 15:22

Re: [vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE)

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:33:28AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> There are still a couple things in linux that seem to be unnecessarily
> convoluted and really bug me.  One is sound, which I've finally managed
> to work around using alsa and dmix.
>
> The other is handling user-specified shell environment variables.  I use
> bash, and by trial and error I've found I can put what I want in
> .bashrc.  IIRC, I remember reading that this really isn't the place for
> custom variables, but this is what has worked for me.  Recently, I've
> defined $TEXINPUTS, a path variable for tex/latex.  When I run latex
> from shell, it uses the path I've defined by $TEXINPUTS correctly.
> However, if I start Emacs from KDE's kmenu, $TEXINPUTS is NOT read, and
> thus running latex from within Emacs doesn't work like I expect.  It
> turns out that KDE, when started through xdm/kdm, does not read .bashrc
> at all
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200209/msg00083.html).
>  However, .bashrc does get read when starting a shell from within KDE.
>
> So my question is:  what really is the correct place to put
> user-specific bash variables?  And, how do I make KDE read them when
> logging in from kdm?

Well, I use a .xsession script to log in from kdm (my default session
is "Custom" which runs my .xsession). My .xsession uses bash as its
interpreter, which sources .profile, and .profile in turn sources
.bashrc, so everything defined in these files becomes available before
my .xsession starts my window manager.