2004 Apr 29 09:42

Re: [vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Re: [vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Richard Crawford wrote:
I am apparently doing something wrong while trying to burn Knoppix CD's
with my Windows XP laptop.  I had assumed that I would just download the
.iso file onto my hard drive, insert a blank CD into my CD-ROM drive, then
copy the file from the hard drive to the blank CD using WinXP's native CD
writing software.

This doesn't seem to be working though.  The CD I create doesn't boot my
computer into Knoppix.  I've checked the BIOS on my computer to ensure
that it is bootable from CD-ROM, but it's still not working out.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

Copying over the .iso (i.e. making a data CD) is NOT what you want to do. The .iso is an "image" of the cdrom you want, and all the usable files are contained within it. Kind of like a .tar file (although techies may shudder at this analogy).

With whatever burning software you use, you need to choose "burn from a CD image" or such. I don't think WinXP's native CD writing software gives you this option; it is only for writing data. For windows, try Roxio, Nero, Disk Juggler, or the like.

HTH,
Jonathan