2004 Apr 29 10:01

Re: [vox-tech] Bash scripting newbie - need syntax help

Re: [vox-tech] Bash scripting newbie - need syntax help

Thanks Ken.

I had not seen quotes working from the first find suggestion:
Consider another direction:
$ find /var/log -iname \*.[0-9].[0-9] -print0 | xargs -r0 rm -f

The quotes are indeed necessary. It worked!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

- Larry

On 4/28/04 at 10:39 PM Ken Bloom wrote:

>You *need* to put the pattern in quotes, because otherwise the shell
>will perform wildcard expansion just the same way it was doing for the
>rm command. Try
>find -iname 'erro*.[1-4].[1-4]' -print0 | xargs -r0 rm -f
>This should stop the nasty expansion.
>
>This was demonstrated implicitly before, as Foo Lim said:
>> >
>> >Try using xargs like this:
>> >
>> >find . -name "error*" | xargs rm
>> >
>> >You can also try doing it through the find command like this:
>> >
>> >find . -name "error*" -exec rm \{} \;
>
>--
>I usually have a GPG digital signature included as an attachment.
>See http://www.gnupg.org/ for info about these digital signatures.
>My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about
>signing the key. ***** My computer can't give you viruses by email. ***

- Larry