2004 Apr 29 02:20

Re: [vox-tech] Bash scripting newbie - need syntax help

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:33:13PM -0700, Larry Ozeran wrote:
> Thanks for the great discussion. I really appreciate everyone's ideas. Unfortunately, it appears that find is using similar expansion of the * leading to the same error.
>
> [root@localhost mailman]# find -iname \erro*.[1-4].[1-4] -print0 | xargs -r0 rm -f
> bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long
>
> [root@localhost mailman]# find -iname \erro*.[1-4] -print0 | xargs -r0 rm -f
> bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

You *need* to put the pattern in quotes, because otherwise the shell
will perform wildcard expansion just the same way it was doing for the
rm command. Try
find -iname 'erro*.[1-4].[1-4]' -print0 | xargs -r0 rm -f
This should stop the nasty expansion.