2004 Apr 28 19:59

Re: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:55:33PM -0700, Jan W wrote:

> Don't interpret this as knocking Postgres, I use it and think it's
> great.  It's just not a mature codebase the way that Oracle and other
> RDBMS's are...

The Postgres codebase is very mature.  It was around long before most of
the other databases you mentioned, and has undergone many major
revisions.  If you familiarize yourself with its history, you'll learn
that Postgres pioneered many of the advanced features found in
commercial databases like Oracle, DB2, etc.  Not to mention it's object
oriented features...

I do agree that the decision should be based on features that you
actually need (and many people aren't aware of what they need).  If you
need rock-solid transactions, triggers, stored procedures, inheritance,
etc., use Postgres.  If your main requirements are speed and ease of
administration, go with MySQL.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC-ARS-USDA