2004 Apr 26 11:10

Re: [vox-tech] The Great Spam Investigation

On Sun 25 Apr 04,  9:13 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> Do you know how much the spams filtered out are false positives?  I
> sometimes get curious about that.

that's always a danger.  while going through my logs, i kept a careful
eye out looking at rejected addresses that i recognized.  i didn't see
anything that could conceivably be a false positive (although that
doesn't prove anything).

but i did keep a careful eye out for that.

> BTW, if you reject all e-mails sent from you to you, do you not get copies
> of e-mails you send to LUGOD mailing lists?  Did you count those e-mails
> in your spam stats?

those email don't come from dirac.org!  they come from lugod.org.  :)
so they weren't filtered at all.

the "not allowed to send mail as me" rule is a HELO filter.  in other
words, the *envelope* isn't allowed to say "dirac.org", but the "From:"
header can say dirac.org.

as for cases of *me* sending email to rhonda (or me), for instance, that
would be a case of the envelope saying "dirac.org".

however, the HELO rule is not applied to systems on my local subnet, so
i'm allowed to send email to rhonda.  :)

pete