2004 Apr 26 18:28

Re: LIKELY SPAM: [vox-tech] The Great Spam Investigation (with no tabs)

Re: LIKELY SPAM: [vox-tech] The Great Spam Investigation (with no tabs)

What's funny is, this got caught by my ISP's SpamAssassin.
(Had to add you to my WhiteList, Peter!)

  * -1.2 -- User-Agent header indicates a non-spam MUA (Mutt)
  * -0.5 -- Found a User-Agent header
  *  0.1 -- Subject contains word which begins with non-word character
  *  6.0 -- BODY: Tries to slip through filters by substituting numbers for
letters
  *  0.8 -- BODY: Spam phrases score is 00 to 01 (low)
            [score: 0]
  * -0.1 -- Email came from some known mailing list software

;^)

Sonic recently improved their filters (adding RBL and such, I believe;
see http://www.sonic.net/motd ) and while my inbox spam is still
relatively high and annoying, my TOTAL spam is much lower, meaning it's
far more reasonable for me to go in and check my 'greymail' folder for
any false-positives (like this, which just happens to talk about spam so
much that it looks like spam :^) )

Before, SpamAssassin was collecting over 1000 pieces of spam per day.
Now, it's more like 1/10th of that.  (The filters further up the pipe are
keeping SpamAssassin from even having to deal with them.)