2004 Apr 24 12:20

Re: [vox-tech] Debian help: font problems

Re: [vox-tech] Debian help: font problems

=(

for now, would you be willing to settle for xdvi or ggv?

gv doesn't even work on my system (debian unstable; it crashes at start).
something's funky with gv.  grrr...

-Mark

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Mark, that was an excellent guess.  I should've thought of that
> myself!  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  :(
>
> Pete
>
> On Sat 24 Apr 04, 11:08 AM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> > Could it just be gv settings that's messed up?  Delete ~/.gv and try
> > again?
> >
> > -Mark
> >

> > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I have a postscript file, dissertation.ps that, out of the blue, started
> > > to look ugly when viewed with gs (or gv which uses gs).  The font looks
> > > thin and spindly.
> > >
> > > Not knowing what to do, I uploaded it to my friend Mark's computer and
> > > used gv to view it there.  The results were much nicer.  The fonts
> > > looked rich and full again.
> > >
> > > You can see the results side by side:
> > >
> > >    http://www.dirac.org/shot.png
> > > or
> > >    http://www.dirac.org/shot.jpg
> > >
> > > Both machines are up-to-date Debian Sarge.
> > >
> > > I know zilch about Defoma, and don't have the luxury of time to learn
> > > right at this moment.  However, I have to look at this document for very
> > > extended periods of time, and the spindly font bothers my eyes.
> > >
> > > Mark's computer doesn't have an X server set up on it (I used gv
> > > remotely), so it doesn't have an XF86Config fontlist to look at, so I
> > > don't know how the "order of font looking" is set.
> > >
> > > It doesn't have xfstt nor xfs.  I'm not too sure how font requests are
> > > serviced when there's no server to begin with.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on why the two systems are displaying the same file so
> > > differently?
> > >
> > > These fonts *can't* be the same.  Any idea on how to track down which
> > > font is being used and why?
> > >
> > > Anyone know how fonts are handled when there's no server?
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated!
> > >
> > > Pete
>
> --
> Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.  -- Albert Einstein

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci