2004 Apr 24 11:43

[vox-tech] Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a (usb CF reader)

[vox-tech] Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a (usb CF reader)

I've got an old Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a, a simple usb device to read compact flash memory cards, with an eject button. It used to "just work" with RedHat 8/9 and kernel ~2.4.20. I hadn't used it in months, and have since installed Gentoo and kernel 2.6.(1,3,5). Now it doesn't work anymore. Most times it detects the device and loads the usb-storage and scsi_mod modules, but no scsi partitions show up in /proc/partitions. Sometimes they do show, but I can't mount them. Here are the relavent lines in dmesg when I can see sda1 and try to mount:

ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
<snip>
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Dec-29
<snip>
usb 1-3: new full speed USB device using address 2
SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Vendor: Model: Rev:
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 6000000
Sense class 0, sense error 0, extended sense 0
sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
FAT: unable to read boot sector

The card still works for my camera and with the Sandisk reader in Windows. I can't think of much to try. I goggled and found kernel patches for the SDDR-05b (no eject button), but not much for SDDR-05a. Does anyone else have this device? Anything else I can check out? If not, I'll just go to Fry's and buy a different card reader.

Thanks,
Jonathan