2004 Apr 21 14:45

Re: [vox-tech] monitor troubles

On Wed 21 Apr 04,  1:34 PM, Jonathan McPherson <jamcp@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Pete,
>
> > eek.
> >
> > this isn't the whole story.  you can smoke your monitor.  X won't use a
> > resolution that needs a higher dot-clock than your video card can
> > provide.  it won't use a bit depth that needs more video ram than your
> > card can supply.
> >
> > but lying about HorizSync and VertRefresh can smoke your monitor.  do
> > NOT blindly tell X that your monitor can do a vsync of 100 if it can't
> > do a vsync of 100.
>
> Jennifer had already established that she was using an LCD monitor.
> AFAIK, CRTs are the only ones that you have to worry about frying with
> bad h/vsychs.  Therefore, getting the h/vsynch variable out of the mix by
> just telling XFree to use a nice, big range for both seemed to be a
> decently simplifying thing to do.  Did I make some wrong assumptions?
>
> -jam

sorry jam, i didn't read that.

in fact, i haven't done a good job reading at all.  i first responded to
her in private telling her to look at linux for laptops because i didn't
see the word "desktop".

the symptom she described sounds exactly what happens on a laptop with
an unsupported video chipset.

ulp!

my apologies...

pete