2004 Apr 21 13:41

Re: [vox-tech] monitor troubles

On Wed 21 Apr 04,  1:04 PM, Jennifer Stickel <jrstickel@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Ok here is the info
>
> >actually, the first thing would be to post the video card / video
> >chipset you're using.  and your monitor.
> >

> The moitor is EIZO FlexScan L 371 - I have the spec sheet and haven't
> set the sync rates to anything other then what is listed there
>
> The video card is an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.  It is a build in
> card not a special video card.
>
> Jennifer

i did a google search for "82865G linux".

A. 2nd item in search:

   http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=813

   * what version of X are you using?  you may want to use 4.3 or
     higher.

   * what kernel version are you using?  you may want to be using 2.4
     rather than 2.6 (personally, i don't believe this person.  if we
     were talking about accelerated GL, that would be one thing.  but
     we're talking about 2D graphics.

B. here is the spec sheet for this video chipset (which should tell you
   everything you need to know to hand generate an xf86config file):

   http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/252514.htm

C. following intel's advice, i did a locate for "i810" and found this:

   /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/i830_dri.so

   that tells me you should look in your XF86Config file for the
   "device" section and make sure it looks like this:

      Section "Device"
         Identifier  ""
         VendorName "Intel"
         Driver "i830"
      EndSection

D. from Google, i also found this.  explicit instructions

   http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/graphics.htm

E. check this out:

   http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9559145~mode=flat

   i'm not as familiar with video chipsets as i am cards, but i
   *believe* that video chipset ram can change from system to system.
   this guy's system (dell 4600c) has 8MB of RAM which sounds a bit
   low for something that has accelerated graphics.  you might want to
   double check with your system manuals or google for your computer
   make and model.

i would try option C first.

as for your monitor, i did another google search and found this:

   http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/lcd/l371.asp

   your sync rates are:

   analog input
   horizontal: 27-61
   vertical:   50-85

   digital input
   horizontal: 27-61
   vertical:   60

   dot-clock: 80MHz

it's VESA compatible, which explains why you can get 2D out of it, even
if you aren't running the correct video driver.

pete