2004 Apr 21 13:27

Re: [vox-tech] monitor troubles

You can add all modes, in the order of your preference, like this:

      Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

so you don't have to try each one.

Anyway, that's the sidenote.  Since you got the sync information, set the
hsync and vsync rates in XF86Config:

      HorizSync     30-100
      VertRefresh   50-160

Furthermore, your video card needs to be supported by X.  It looks like
Intel has their own driver and a support page:

   http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/graphics.htm

Neat.

-Mark

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Jennifer Stickel wrote:

> I found the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and edited a few times.  Here is
> the most recent one that I tried:
>
> Section "Screen"
>
>     Identifier    "Screen0"
>     Device    "VideoCard0"
>     Monitor    "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth 16
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        16
>         Modes        "1024x768"
>     EndSubsection
>     SubSection "Display"
>     Depth        24
>         Modes        "1024x768"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> When I restart X, I don't get any errors but the screen is still the
> same size.
>
> Is there a tool I can use to figure out the amount of video RAM or do I
> have to look for manuals that might list that?
> Thanks for all the help,
>
> Jennifer
>
> Jonathan McPherson wrote:
>
> >Jennifer,
> >

> >>Yes it is an LCD monitor.  I tried running xvidtune and got the message
> >>"Video are not settable on this chip".  If I check the control center,
> >>it says that the screen size is 640x480 and has no other options for
> >>it.  How else can I up the resolution?
> >>

> >The first thing I would try is to follow the other poster's suggestion
> >and manually edit the configuration file.
> >
> >However, if that doesn't work, you may be running into the same problem I
> >have had with my LCD monitor: XFree believes that you can't support a
> >higher resolution because it doesn't have the right specs on your monitor
> >and video card.
> >
> >You need to tell xfree that your monitor has a very high range of
> >horizontal and vertical synch frequencies, and that your video card has
> >at least as much video RAM as it actually does.  XFree will not allow you
> >to change to a resolution that it (a) doesn't think your monitor can
> >handle or (b) doesn't think you have the video memory to maintain.
> >
> >You can do this in the configuration file mentioned by the other
> >poster--the places on the file that you need to make the changes
> >should be obvious.
> >
> >-jam

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius