2004 Apr 21 12:56

Re: [vox-tech] monitor troubles

Jennifer,

> Yes it is an LCD monitor.  I tried running xvidtune and got the message
> "Video are not settable on this chip".  If I check the control center,
> it says that the screen size is 640x480 and has no other options for
> it.  How else can I up the resolution?

The first thing I would try is to follow the other poster's suggestion
and manually edit the configuration file.

However, if that doesn't work, you may be running into the same problem I
have had with my LCD monitor: XFree believes that you can't support a
higher resolution because it doesn't have the right specs on your monitor
and video card.

You need to tell xfree that your monitor has a very high range of
horizontal and vertical synch frequencies, and that your video card has
at least as much video RAM as it actually does.  XFree will not allow you
to change to a resolution that it (a) doesn't think your monitor can
handle or (b) doesn't think you have the video memory to maintain.

You can do this in the configuration file mentioned by the other
poster--the places on the file that you need to make the changes
should be obvious.

-jam