2004 Apr 20 09:27

[vox-tech] xorg X11R6.7.0

After all the craziness caused by the license change for xfree-4.4, xorg (part of freedesktop?) has released X11R6.7.0, with much of it based on xfree-4.4, minus the license change of course. Read about it here:

http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xorg/xc/RELNOTES?rev=1.1.4.2.2.3

The bottom line is that a new X11 is available with a friendly license. It already is in gentoo's portage, marked testing for x86 and stable for amd64. I installed it simply like this:

#emerge -C xfree
#ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xorg-x11

I moved my old /etc/X11/XF86Config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but it will use XF86Config if xorg.conf is not available. I also had to install and configure some fonts, but otherwise all looks comparable to xfree-4.3.

However, I was disappointed to see that dri was still not included for my video card (S3 twisterk, using the savage driver). After some googling (http://linux-sxs.org/guis/DRIS3.html), I downloaded X11 from the cvs tree. I just wanted the savage driver from cvs, but I had to compile the whole thing. Fortunately, just copying over savage.ko, savage_drv.o, and savage_dri.so to their appropriate places worked! I now have dri using xorg-x11, but with drivers from cvs.

Jonathan