2004 Apr 13 01:39

Re: [vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Re: [vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

dylan wrote:

Any chance it's an eMachine? I'm not sure about the virus possibility or
the IE problem, but I have seen a similar reboot issue a number of
times, most often with eMachines. It was usually traced back to a dying
power suply. The one time it wasn't, it had to do with a dead CMOS
battery. (My roommate had to put her eMachine on a power strip with a
switch... sometimes it would reboot when told to shut down. Other times
it would randomly decided to boot back up, anywhere from minutes to
hours later.)

Actually it is a Gateway. They have never had this problem before, and the
only reason that they *suspect* a virus or something is because 1 day before
the crazyness started my sister downloaded a bunch of random software... but
who knows... this is windows that we are talking about ... :)

e-machines was recently swallowed by gateway, so maybe it IS somehow related!

the answer is me. that os sucks ass. put win2k on there and upgrade it to whatever the most recent service pack is (4 i think); they'll be happy...