2004 Apr 11 14:12

Re: [vox-tech] apache question: virtualhost not working

On 2004.04.11 13:18, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Sun 11 Apr 04, 9:40 AM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:
> På söndag, 11 april 2004, skrev Rod Roark:
> > On Sunday 11 April 2004 07:04 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > NameVirtualHost 64.142.25.39:80
> > >
> > > <VirtualHost www.liberal.ws:80>
> > > ServerAdmin p@dirac.org
> > > DocumentRoot /home/p/linux
> > > ServerName www.liberal.ws
> > > ErrorLog /var/log/apache/test_error
> > > LogLevel warn
> > > CustomLog /var/log/apache/test_access common
> > > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > What works for me looks like this:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost 64.142.25.39
> > <VirtualHost 64.142.25.39:80>
> > etc.
>
> Rod is right; you need the NameVirtualHost directive when virtual hosts
share
> the same IP address (i.e., there are multiple DNS A records for your the
IP
> address of your server, or there are CNAME records giving it additional
> names).

i'm confused -- isn't that what i have above?

i have two domains, www.dirac.org and www.liberal.ws. i want:

www.dirac.org -> document root /www
www.liberal.ws -> document root /www/p/linux

www.dirac.org already works. it's configured correctly. in order to
add www.liberal.ws, i tried adding this:

NameVirtualHost 64.142.25.39:80

<VirtualHost www.liberal.ws:80>
ServerAdmin p@dirac.org
DocumentRoot /home/p/linux
ServerName www.liberal.ws
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/test_error
LogLevel warn
CustomLog /var/log/apache/test_access common
</VirtualHost>

is that not correct?

pete
I'm no apache expert here, (I don't even run apache), but isn't rod saying you should be saying the following in your apache configuration:

NameVirtualHost 64.142.25.39:80
<VirtualHost 64.142.25.39:80>
ServerAdmin p@dirac.org
DocumentRoot /home/p/linux
ServerName www.liberal.ws
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/test_error
LogLevel warn
CustomLog /var/log/apache/test_access common
</VirtualHost>

And that the hostname is given on the line starting "ServerName"

(And now that I've been poking around for information on this to see for myself what the difference is, you can see as sample configuration at http://www.phpfreaks.com/apache_manual/page/vhosts/name-based.html)