2004 Apr 09 15:17

Re: [vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:25:23AM -0700, Doctorcam wrote:

> I have started gpm, which uses usbmouse, and set the device in
> XF86Config to /dev/gpmdata.  kdm starts fine, but there's no reaction
> from the mouse.  I'm stumped.

I had recently tried getting a Wacom tablet working with Melissa's laptop.
In doing so, I tweaked gpm and X and didn't realize I had made her USB
mouse unrecognized.

It was very late last night, so was hazy about what I was doing ;^)
but I think I ended up reading /dev/input/mice via GPM and then
repeating that and reading it in X.  I then read /dev/psaux directly in X
to get the little push-stick mouse that's on her laptop's keyboard to work.

It took me a while to realize, but I had to change the /dev/psaux (which had
previously been set to read from /dev/gpmdata) from type "MouseSystems"
(which GPM was repeating as) to type "PS/2" (which is what the push-stick
was sending via /dev/psaux).

Maybe there's an issue with the 'type' of data you're reading, either
directly, or from gpm's repeater...?

Just stabbing in the dark.  Still tired. ;)