2004 Apr 09 11:31

Re: [vox-tech] Questions on Using Wine

On 2004.04.09 04:58, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Thu 08 Apr 04, 10:17 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> Wine is a somewhat difficult program to use - you need to write out a
> configuarion file that (among other things) maps directories to windows

> hard drives, and maps your printers to LPT: ports.

ken, i never had to do this.  i guess the factory defaults were good
enough.  everything seems to just install under ~/Transgaming, which is
considered to be the C drive.  if i ever wanted a D drive, i'd have to
fiddle with the config file.  but it ships with good defaults.

as for mapping LPT ports, i've never got a printer to work under wine,
so perhaps i should look into this!

> After you finish all of this, then you can run "wine
c:\\windows\\notepad.
> exe" or "wine /mnt/windows/windows/notepad.exe" and with a lot of luck
and
> prayer you'll see the windows notepad appear on your screen.

maybe wine has changed since i last used it (i've been using winex for
the past couple of years), but all i need to do is:

cd ~/Transgaming
winex windows/notepad.exe

and it usually works pretty well.

She's not running winex, and neither am I. Each of us is running the wine that is shipped with our respective distributions (mandrake for her, debian for me)

> Wine doesn't work with all programs reliably, so be forewarned.

yes, wine itself doesn't support direct-x.  just enough to get half life
working.  winex is focusing on direct-x and CD copy protection (which is
what makes it non-free, since they have to sign NDAs).

one very nice use of wine is to run executable flash movies.  works like
a charm.

macromedia is *currently* investigating flash mx support (yeah, the
creating tool, not the viewer) with wine.  ooooohhhh yeeeeeaaahhhhhhh..

> I had my
> installation of maxplus (which I have to run under WINE) break
unexpectedly
> after it had been working well for a month or two. I'm thinking that it

> broke around the time I installed linux kernel 2.6, but the symptoms
don't
> look like they relate to the kernel at all.

that blows.  it's kind hard to tell what causes that.  i assume you
searched winehq for breakage under 2.6?
Yeah, I couldn't find anything that they didn't claim had already been fixed.

I get "MAX+plus II - System" saying "Internal Error: Invalid window handle in max_draw_menu_bar()". I hit OK, then the main window pops up - doesn't draw itself, and says "Internal Error: Fatal application error detected"