2004 Apr 09 05:08

Re: [vox-tech] Questions on Using Wine

On 2004.04.08 21:27, Roger & Jeanne Hanson wrote:
I am running Mandrake 9.2 on a Toshiba 335CDS laptop. I was interested in

running a windows program with wine which I understand was included in my

Mandrake distribution. Using rpmdrake I installed the package that came on
an

accompanying CD. However, I am at a loss as to what I do next. I did a
search

for "wine" and all I come up with is the following. In going into these

directories I fail to see anything that is executable. Being a real
"Newbie" I

don't quite know what I am missing (or what I am doing for that matter).

[root@localhost /]# find / -name wine
/etc/rc.d/init.d/wine
/etc/wine
/var/lib/wine
/var/lock/subsys/wine
/usr/share/wine
/usr/bin/wine
/usr/lib/wine
[root@localhost /]#

What action do I need to take to actually run a windows program under
wine. I am really lost.
Executable programs generally live in a bin/ directory or an sbin/ directory. In this case, /usr/bin/wine is the executable. The /usr/bin directory is one of the directories in your search path (the $PATH environment variable), so if you just type "wine", /usr/bin is one of the directories that Linux will search looking for that program.

Wine is a somewhat difficult program to use - you need to write out a configuarion file that (among other things) maps directories to windows hard drives, and maps your printers to LPT: ports.

After you finish all of this, then you can run "wine c:\\windows\\notepad. exe" or "wine /mnt/windows/windows/notepad.exe" and with a lot of luck and prayer you'll see the windows notepad appear on your screen.

Wine doesn't work with all programs reliably, so be forewarned. I had my installation of maxplus (which I have to run under WINE) break unexpectedly after it had been working well for a month or two. I'm thinking that it broke around the time I installed linux kernel 2.6, but the symptoms don't look like they relate to the kernel at all.