2004 Apr 06 12:03

Re: [vox-tech] mobo bios upgrades

I've used the method mentioned below recently (copy awflash.exe and mybiosupgrade.bin onto any existing dos bootable floppy - e.g. win95/98 bootdisk). Also, I've had to download an .exe file that needed to be run from a windows machine with a floppy drive installed. This created a bootable floppy that automagically did everything (after a few confirmations). I used VMWare, WinXP over Linux, to create the latter boot floppy because (ironically) two attempts to make the same floppy on my windows machine at work failed.

For every machine I've ever upgraded the bios on, I've never needed a Windows-only app to do so.

dave m.

Foo Lim wrote:

Hmm.. the last time I upgraded my BIOS, I had to download a Windoze executable to put on a bootable floppy along with the BIOS image. Some mobo manufacturers have an executable that can upgrade while you're in Windoze. However, both methods require you to have Windoze installed. Mark's method may work. I haven't had to upgrade my BIOS in a long time (which also means I haven't bought new hardware in a long time :( ).

Foo