2004 Apr 06 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] mobo bios upgrades

I've seen DOS executables that I could download off of the Internet.  You
might be able to use FreeDOS in that case... I hope!  I've seen mobos that
come with a disk but I'm not sure if it's bootable.  I don't think I've
seen windows-only executables.

-Mark

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> a 64-bit mobo i'm eyeing takes PC2700.  just learned of a bios upgrade
> that lets the board use PC3200.
>
> since i don't plan on putting MS windows on this machine i'm curious how
> you upgrade a bios, since i've never done it before.  do upgrades come
> in the form of...
>
> a. bootable disk (like DOS) in which case linux users can use them?
>
> b. a windows EXE, which case you have to install windows (i'm not sure
>    i'd use wine for this) to upgrade the bios.
>
> c. both forms have been known to be used.
>
> thx,
> pete
>
> --
> Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.  -- Albert Einstein

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci