2004 Apr 04 23:32

[vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

[vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

I just purchased a Toshiba M30, which I'm trying to dual-boot.

First problem:  I have X pretty much up and running, except for the
mouse.  The trackpoint is dodgy, so I need to be able to use the USB
mouse with it.  I have gone through several different approaches I
found through Google, but nothing works, and so I think I'm missing
something related that is not obvious.

This is the error message in XFree86.0.log:

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device

Permissions are 20666 for /dev/input/mice, which should work (as far
as I know).

This is the relevant portion of XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier	    "USB Mouse"
	   Driver		    "mouse"
	   Option		    "CorePointer"
	   Option		    "Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	   Option		    "Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	   Option		    "Emulate3Buttons"	   "true"
	   Option		    "Emulate3Timeout"	   "70"
	   Option		    "ZAxisMapping"		   "4 5"
	   Option		    "SendCoreEvents"	   "true"
EndSection

The ServerLayout section contains the line:

        InputDevice		"USB Mouse"  "SendCoreEvents"

I've tried any number of different combinations of device names with
no success.

I'll entertain any ideas.

TIA

Cam