2004 Apr 04 15:02

Re: [vox-tech] serendipity with vim

heh.  at 6:15 in the morning, it blew my mind.  it took a few seconds to
register what was going on.

if anybody has any vim tips they'd like to share, i'd love to see a
thread of people's favorite vim tricks.

here's another one i learned just recently:

1 one
2 two
3 three
4 four
5 five
6 six
7 seven
8 eight
9 nine

use line highlighting (shift v) and highlight lines 4, 5, and 6.
type "zf".
you've now "folded" lines 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6:

1 one
+--  5 lines: 2----------------------------------------------------
7 seven
8 eight
9 nine

now use line highlighting to to highlight the first 4 lines.
type "zf"
you've now folded the first four line:

+--  8 lines: 1----------------------------------------------------
9 nine

place the cursor somewhere on the fold.
type "zo" to unfold:

1 one
+--  5 lines: 2----------------------------------------------------
7 seven
8 eight
9 nine

place the cursor somewhere on the fold.
type "zo" to unfold again:

1 one
2 two
3 three
4 four
5 five
6 six
7 seven
8 eight
9 nine

really great for programming.  one of the uses is when i'm editing a
function and need to see another function that's way down in the source
file.  i can bring them "close together" by folding.

previously, i either moved the functions using block cut and copy (ick)
or by using vim's marks (better, but still ick).

zf: fold the highlighted selection.  it can take movement commands too,
   like "zf}" to fold the next paragraph.

zo: open a fold.  the cursor must be on top of the proper fold.

zc: refold the last fold.

what would be nice is if we could have "named folds", like named
registers or named marks.

wouldn't mind hearing other people's tips....   :-)

pete