2004 Apr 01 15:11

cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

The only way I can figure is to run the burning program(s) via remote shell. If you want to use a gui, e.g. k3b, it will need to be installed on the remote computer, but it can then be run locally via X over ssh. Of course, you need relatively high bandwidth to run X over ssh in "realtime".

Also, it would be best to move the file(s) you want to burn over to the remote computer first. You /might/ be able to keep the files local if you setup NFS or lufs, but you would be restricted to burn speeds as slow as your network speed!

HTH,
Jonathan

Dave Margolis wrote:
FYI, Toast 6 for OS X supports remote burning to CD/DVD burners on
a rendevous (aka zeroconfig) network, so at least we know the concept is
possible.  If somebody knows how to do this in Linux, I'd like to know
too (since I have a DVD burner on my server, and no optical drives on
my laptop at all).