2004 Mar 22 01:30

Re: [vox-tech] Best/fastest graphics accellerator that is Lunux compatible

Re: [vox-tech] Best/fastest graphics accellerator that is Lunux compatible

Quoting grosa@ucdavis.edu (grosa@ucdavis.edu):

> my advice is: it's better to buy the high-end of the second generation
> (ie, newest old) than it is to buy the low-end of the new.
>
> You might say "but what about the new features of the new?", to which
> i would reply "why bother if no software makes use of them?"

Concur.  Last I heard, good open-source drivers (including GL) exist for
ATI Radeon cards up to model 8500, plus its cheaper variants models in
the 9000-9200 series.  Those would probably be my pick if I cared about
3D support; if not, I might just look around for an old Matrox G400,
which are still hard to beat for overall quality and software support.

(With Radeon models 9500 and up -- the "r300+ series" -- people end up
getting stampeded into into binary-only proprietary drivers, including
kernel support modules.)

--
Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."