2004 Mar 20 14:50

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo - Backup Sys Config Files & Grub vs LILO

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo - Backup Sys Config Files & Grub vs LILO

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
Edward Elliott wrote:

I've decided that I've recuperated after my last Gentoo burnout and so I'm jumping right back on the Gentoo horse again. I've downloaded the
new 2004.0 lived CD release and I'm going to rebuild the system from scratch.

Before I do, I would appreciate some advice from the Linux gurus in the group,
especially the Gentoo users.

I'm no guru, but I am an avid gentoo user.

1) What key system config files should I backup to diskette on my current system, so I have these files for reference on the new 2004.0 build? Or more generically, what system config files is it a good practice to backup.

Since I mostly just go with the default configs whenever possible, I tend keep track of only fstab, XF86Config, make.conf, rc.conf, and some other things specific to my setup, like logrotate.conf and ntp.conf

2) On my current Gentoo system I chose Grub as the boot loader, was that a
reasonable choice? Is there any reason to prefer LILO over Grub?

I've used grub ever since it's been available. It's so easy to make changes to the boot menu (just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf), I don't know why anyone uses LILO.
I built a server with a raid array that LILO could boot but Grub could not.

Jonathan