2004 Mar 18 15:53

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Re: [vox-tech] Carrying telephone signal over ethernet

Mark's original idea should work if he's happy with 10BaseT and doesn't mind some potential extra noise on both the phone and data lines.

The trick I'd use if I wanted to do this without spending a lot is get a couple 10BaseT splitters like these
http://www.directron.com/1206510.html
http://www.pagecomputers.com/cgi-bin/page/S0253406.html
http://www.costcentral.com/prod/Belkin/R6G022/117637/
and rewire a couple phone cords with rj45 plugs on one end. Either that or move to the UK and get a coolport. From what I know, there's no easy, clean, and cheap solution.

I don't think you're supposed to mix voice and data on cat5, which would explain the lack of products that would do this, but I could be wrong.

-Jeremy

Mitch Patenaude wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe that Cat5 uses all 4 *pairs* of wires, and not just 4 wires. Maybe that's only for full duplex....

IIRC, Cat3 (i.e. 10baseT) was designed with phone compatibility in mind.. and leaves the center pair unvired, so that it's compatible with the older rj11 plugs in a very direct way. You can plug an old rj11 plug into a rj45 jack, and I think that the original conception was that every jack would carry both phone and ehternet, and you could plug either computer or phone in as needed.

-- Mitch