2004 Mar 18 11:33

Re: [vox-tech] PDF editor?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:12:03PM -0800, Norm Matloff (matloff@laura.cs.ucdavis.edu) wrote:

Does anyone know of an open-source editor for PDF files?  All I want to
do at present is insert Web links into a PDF file.

Norm, enjoyed your H1B pages for years...

PDF is _not_ an inherently editable format (though this is a good way to
get into a flamefest on some lists). It's a publishing / presentation
format.

Your best bet is to find (or make) a source document and make your edits
there, then publish to PDF.

There are a number of tools which will let you work with files in PDF
format (an operation I consider distinct from "editing"), and you may be
able to overlay text from within these.
<snip>

If it's just a single page, you can convert the pdf to ps (use pdftops, _not_ pdf2ps), import it into xfig, write on top of it, and export back to pdf.

I'm not sure of the best way to work with multipage pdfs. You could split it into single pages, work with each page individually, and merge them together again when finished (via ghostscript). Of course, this would be rather tedious for large documents :).

Pdftex is probably another option, but I haven't used it enough to suggest how. I did discover a perl script which crops entire pdf documents. It uses pdftex internally to do much of the work.

Jonathan